Monday, October 18, 2010

Not So Smooth

Nothing Ghana-related today, I was just reflecting on some of the odd things I’ve been told by college flings whose smoothness came off rather roughly because they had had too much to drink. It’s funny to imagine the sober versions of these guys saying these things.

It’s taken my friend and me a whole bottle of wine to think of the most foul lines we've been told by former flings. Here's my winner:

“It’s been my goal all summer to hook up with you.” (After kissing me)

You go-getter, you. What an insult. An insult to himself, too. At least there’s something to be said of his determination – that was only three years ago and he’s married now. Seems he’s pretty good at going after what he wants in life.

But I haven’t necessarily been a straight-A student in the School of Staying Calm, Cool and Collected While Intoxicated either. Here is my favorite personal blunder that I don’t want to ponder how much influence it had on ending the fling:

“My sister told me that I am a lot like your sister.”

Like... why? I cringe when I think about actually having said that aloud. But it’s okay because friends we started, friends we remain. It seems I've been remembering and laughing at my embarrassing blunders from the past more often since I’ve been in Ghana away from the places I make silly decisions.


I hope I haven't cursed my luck now that I've put out into the universe that I consider Ghana the place I don't make silly decisions. (There I go getting into trouble saying things out loud again.) Maybe I should keep more things to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment